UNIVERSITY OF ESSEX
This document includes the following information:
- Job Description
- Person Specification
- Additional information
Making an application:
Please complete the short on-line application form, which includes some standard questions, and attach the following documents. (Shortlisting is undertaken by a panel after the closing date on the basis of information provided.)
- a covering letter – explaining why you are interested in this post, and giving examples to demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the job as outlined.
- a curriculum vitae – giving full details of your qualifications and experience to date;
NB. Please do not provide reference or other non-requested documents.
- Links to Guidance Notes and Frequently Asked Questions can be found at the top of the Search Results page.
- To return to the Search Results page or to make an application, please close this window.
- We recommend that you take a copy of this recruitment pack to help with your preparation.
We are proud to have received Two Ticks accreditation and guarantee an interview to any candidate with a disability who meets the essential criteria for the post. For further information please use the Diversity button on our website.
If you are invited to attend an interview, you will receive an email with details of the arrangements. If you have provided us with a mobile telephone contact number, you will also be notified via a text message telling you to visit your email account for further information.
Please note: We are only accepting on-line applications for this post. However, if you have a disability that makes it difficult for you to provide us with information in this way, please contact the Recruitment Team (01206-874588/873521) for help.
Closing Date: 30 November 2009
Interviews are likely to be held in the second half of December 2009.
University of Essex
Colchester CO4 3SQ
Tel: +44 (0)1206 873521/874588
University of Essex
JOB DESCRIPTION – Job ref RE946
|Job Title and Grade:
||Senior Research Officer
||Full time, fixed-term for 2 years. This post is fixed-term due to funding stipulations on the period of employment
||A notional minimum of 36 hours per week
||£29,704-£35,469 per annum
||The Head of Sociology
|Reports on a day to day basis to:
||The PI of the Project LineUp
||Managing the data collection, tracing families and contributing to the activities of the research team.
|Purpose of job:
We are looking for an enthusiastic post doctoral researcher with the knowledge, skills, and experience to play a full and active part in all aspects of this project. Under the supervision of Dr Güveli, the tasks of the successful candidate will concentrate on the management of the survey data collection, tracing the members of the 500 Turkish families, organizing meetings, liaising with the partners and conducting research. The main tasks comprise the preparation of the questionnaires, managing the screening in Turkey, tracing the family members and publishing articles and reports.
Qualifications include a doctorate in sociology, economics, demography or a related social science, excellent quantitative research skills, experience with and strong interest in migration issues and survey data collection, and excellent Turkish and English communication skills.
This research is administered by the University of Essex and it is hosted in the Department of Sociology. The candidate should start in January 2010 or as soon as possible after this date.
Duties of the Post:
- Coordinating and managing the LineUp project as a whole but in particular the international data collection (under the supervision of the Principal Investigator and other research partners).
- Contributing to the development of the questionnaires.
- Managing the screening of the regions in Turkey to find immigrant and non-immigrant families.
- Collecting contact information of the family members of the 500 Turkish families in all European countries and Turkey.
- Liaising with organizations and associations in Turkey and European countries in order to increase the response rates in the screening and surveying.
- Finding bilingual interviewers from European countries and assisting them with their interview training and interview.
- Taking notes in the meetings and writing evaluation reports about them.
- Writing annual reports.
- Preparing proposals for funding purposes.
10. Attending relevant conferences, workshops, and meetings.
11. Doing literature review on the Turkish migration to Europe.
12. Contributing to collaborative decision making with colleagues in the research team.
13. Planning and managing own research activities in collaboration with other team members.
14. Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Head of Sociology or his/her nominee.
These duties are a guide to the work that the post holder will initially be required to undertake. They may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances and do not form part of the contract of employment.
Terms of Appointment:
For a full description of the terms of appointment for this post please visit: http://www.essex.ac.uk/personnel/CondServ/default.htm